Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Real Housewife of Hong Kong


This week Foley and I went into to the immigration tower to apply for our HK resident cards.  When we were meeting with the immigration clerk, I had to state my occupation on a form.  I launched into a long-winded explanation about my profession as a teacher back in Canada, and how I intended to teach here, I just hadn't gotten a job yet... yada yada.  
The woman says "Ah huh. Well maybe you just write here house-wife". 
Me: "Huh?" 
Her: "Housewife, you write that here" (in a more direct tone).  
Me: "Oh. Right." 

I have nothing against being a housewife, I just never thought of myself as one (preferred the term 'lady of leisure').  In my new attempt to 'own the role' I bought a pair of house slippers (mens naturally, since womens only went up to size 7-8... I'm a huge housewife in Hong Kong).  

Also new this week, I enrolled in Cantonese classes which will begin on Thursday.  I will be in class for two hours every weekday.  I was reading through my course package... and I need 75% to pass. Gulp.

On Friday, we got the keys to our new and wonderful apartment (let the housewife duties commence!).  We were only given one set, so the real estate agent recommended this place to get copies done.  It was a dodgy-looking-but-likely-legit business in a side alleyway, very HK.

The apartment we found is in an area called the mid-levels.  It is more spacious than I was expecting to find (two-bedrooms, two-bathrooms, plus a small storage room), with enough space for guests! (wink, wink).  The space was a nice surprise, but my favourite part are the amazing views.
Living Room

Spacious Kitchen... yes, that's the whole thing you see there.

Washroom, in case you're curious.

Incredibly stunning bedroom with killer views.

View from bedroom bay window.  What we'll wake up to each day.
We won't move in for a couple of weeks, because our temporary apartment is paid until the 15th, and because we have no furniture here yet for the new place.  A trip to Ikea today was very successful, as we walked through room displays similar to in Canada, but with MANY more people around and lots of people just 'hanging out' on sofas and chairs.  Really?  Yep, it's a place to be.

Okay, this housewife has to go make some dinner now.



6 comments:

  1. OMG Trish - those views are beautiful. I think I'd get a vertigo feeling just looking out. The apartment looks beautiful - can't wait for you to take some pics to put it all in perspective (i.e. I want to see you standing in that kitchen). :) Best of luck with the Cantonese - I'm sure you will do great. At least it's fun learning how to write the words. :) Loving these updates - you are an amazing blogger - maybe you should go back to that office and update your status to Foreign Correspondent / Housewife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beckles! Just figuring out now how to reply, sorry. :) You won't get vertigo looking out... I'll prove it to you, you just need to come here and see for yourself. hahaha. Thank you for reading the blog!

      Delete
  2. Dear Housewife of Hong Kong,
    Dad Ward is asking how much Kobe beef costs? Recipe books in Cantonese must be painful. You have a serious talent for photography and it may pay better than teaching. We loved the firework photos.You are missing ugly wet snow and Canadians that forget how to drive in it. I'm off to rip wallpaper off in Shannon's old room. I'll send updates as they happen.
    Julie :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama-Ward. I do love taking photos, though I don't really have much 'technique' yet. Maybe photography lessons will be next after Cantonese lessons?... tbc.
      Hugs to you and Daddy-Ward. Good luck with ancient wall paper and poor driving.

      Delete
  3. Trish, love the blog! Keep up the great work. We really can't wait to read and see more.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blushing... this from the master-blogger and 'real-world' writer.
      I feel the need to go back and edit posts suddenly...
      Thanks Sean. :) ['real' writers probably don't use smiley faces]

      Delete